Below is the standard checklist that we use to make sure we have properly evaluated the scope of work in a new renovation/rehab flip project.
A quick walkthrough with this list in hand can save you a lot of time and headaches!
Here’s the Checklist:
- All properties need to have curb appeal
- Yards clean and any fences kept, fixed, and painted as needed
- Two tone paint scheme on exterior usually an earth tone base color with white trim
- All houses must have mailboxes
- All houses must have visible address numbers
- Roof must have life left or replaced, we do not put another layer of shingles on, always tear off
- All roof underlay must be solid
- Window must be functional and in good shape or replaced and MUST HAVE SCREENS
- If we are pulling a general building permit and changing out windows, make sure all bedroom windows are changed to meet egress standards
- Flooring all wet areas such as kitchens, laundry, mud room, bathroom and in many cases dinette should be ceramic tile
- Carpeting must be FHA quality minimum
- Electrical – All houses must be wired to code and upgraded to handle the loads including: Meter box, hardwired smoke detectors and in most cases eliminate gas and make house 100% electric, especially the hot water heater
- Where at all possible, find an area to have laundry facility in house
- As a rule, ceiling fans in all bedrooms and living areas
- Interior paint, as a rule, should have walls painted in sand 3 (or equivalent). All trim, kitchens, and baths should be painted in semi or high gloss while and ceiling in a flat white.
- All homes must have good functioning central HVAC system (Condensers caged) and where possible, air handlers placed in attics
- All houses need to maximize space to provide for as many bedrooms and bathrooms as is prudent
- All plumbing needs to be in good working order
- Bathrooms need to be NICE. We would much rather have tile around the tub than a surround. If the bathroom has only a small window, or no window, the HVAC Company will need to install a Johnny Fan. Baths need to have towel bars, soap dish, and toilet paper dispenser
- Kitchens need to be NICE, cupboards need to be in good shape or replaced and do not skimp on number of cabinets. Please install a self venting hood fan above stove, if possible, and install a two compartment sink.
- Make sure that the realtor gets a pest inspection on the property and is treated if needed
- Make sure when we close on properties they are secured as quickly as possible and stay secured during the rehab process
- Where it is possible, all egress doors should be made to swing outward and all exterior doors need to be keyed alike and have deadbolts
- Interior doors must have functioning hardware
- All Light bulbs should be replaced to give the room the best lightning