Much of how you are viewed by the public (other investors, sellers, buyers, real estate agents, bankers, etc.,) is based on society’s brief glimpses into your profession as presented by the media. Often, the media portrays you, your real estate investing business, and our industry in a negative light.
When someone approaches you for a response to an ad, interview or seeking information, you need to be well equipped to answer important questions in a way that best reflects your interests and their welfare as well. The same also applies when dealing with public officials and bankers..
- Can you explain in a clear and concise manner the important role of your business, your association or your industry?
- Is your vision and key messages being communicated clearly to key internal and external audiences?
- Are your talking points and meetings delivered in a manner that inspire others to get involved?
Simply put, real estate investors specialize in working with people, associations, industries and businesses. Effective communication is a critically needed skill. Success Real Estate Investors should learn to:
- Improve their written and oral communications skills
- Formulate messages or “talking points” for key internal and external audiences
- Appreciate the media/audience/seller and keep control of the meetings/encounters.
7 Key Tips For Effective Communication for Real Estate Investors
In “Failure To Communicate”, author JStewart III shares the following 7 key tips real estate investors should use to effectively communicate their offers, creative investing solutions and improve relationships with sellers. Here are the 7 communication tips:
1 – Be articulate: Speak clearly, avoid mumbling, use simple, straight-forward words.
2 – Listen actively: Communicating is a two-way street
3 – Be confident
4 – Be interesting: listeners will reciprocate your emotions – show excitement, get excitement
5 – Stay on topic
6 – Use facial expressions consciously
7 – Communicate eye-to-eye